You have been asked to give a presentation to new counselors on the usefulness of theory in school counseling approaches at a school counseling conference. You will choose among CBT, Gestalt, reality, solution-focused, and play-therapy theories and discuss the theory’s application and usefulness in school counseling settings.
Create a 12-slide PowerPoint presentation addressing one of the counseling theories you studied in this course. Organize your presentation and title your slides according to the bold headings below and develop each slide as guided:
- Counseling Theory. Thoroughly describe the theory you selected (3 slides).
- Developmental Applications: Elementary, Middle, High. Explain how this theory might be applied when working with students at elementary, middle school, and secondary levels (3 slides).
- Applicability in Schools. Describe the usefulness of this theory in school counseling settings (2 slides).
- Why Use Theory in Counseling? Explain why it is important to ground counseling approaches in theory (2 slides).
- Ethical Guidelines. Explain the significance of sharing best practices in a professional setting as ethically guided by the profession (1 slide).
- References. Include a slide that lists 3–4 current academic references in current APA format (1 slide).
You must include the speaker’s notes in your PowerPoint.
To achieve a successful project experience and outcome, you are expected to meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Develop an accurate and professionally written presentation that conveys the overall goals of the assignment and is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Appropriate use of text in the presentation:
- Slides should capture key concepts—not every word you plan to say.
- Put your entire talk in the speaker’s notes only.
- Use no more than six lines per slide and six words per line.
- Use short phrases: do not use complete sentences other than quotations.
- If concepts can be illustrated with visuals, use them instead of words.
- Appropriate use of visuals:
- Use appropriate illustrations, photos, or charts strategically. They should enhance, not detract from, the overall message.
- Reference formatting:
- Use in-text citations throughout to support assertions.
- Credit all images.
- Include references in the current APA style on the last slide.