Treating Patients with Bipolar Disorder
For this Treating Patients with Bipolar Disorder assignment, you will write a 5–6-page paper on bipolar disorder and related disorders. You will create this guide as an assignment; therefore, a title page, introduction, conclusion, and reference page are required. You must include a minimum of three scholarly supporting resources outside of the course-provided resources.
In your paper, you will choose one of the following diagnoses: Bipolar I, Bipolar II, Cyclothymic Disorder, Substance- or Medicine-Induced Bipolar and Related Disorders, due to Another Medical Condition.
Your paper will include a discussion of your chosen diagnosis of bipolar disorder and related disorders on the following:
1. Prevalence and Neurobiology of your chosen disorder
2. Discuss the differences between your chosen disorder and one other bipolar and related disorder in relation to the diagnostic criteria including the presentation of symptoms according to DSM 5 TR criteria
3. Discuss special populations and considerations (children, adolescents, pregnancy/post-partum, older adults, emergency care) for your chosen bipolar and related disorder, demonstrating critical thinking beyond the basics of HIPPA and informed consent with a discussion of at least one for EACH category:
• Legal considerations,
• Ethical considerations,
• Cultural considerations,
• Social determinants of health
4. Discuss FDA and/or clinical practice guidelines approved pharmacological treatment options in relation to acute and mixed episodes vs maintenance pharmacological treatment for your chosen bipolar and related disorder
5. Of the medication treatment options for your chosen disorder, discuss side effects, FDA approvals, and warnings. What is important to monitor in terms of labs, comorbid medical issues with why necessary for monitoring
6. Provide 3 examples of how to write a proper prescription that you would provide to the patient or transmit to the pharmacy.
Note: Support your rationale with a minimum of five academic resources. While you may use the course text to support your reasoning, it will not count toward the resource requirement. You should be utilizing the primary and secondary literature.
Reminder: The College of Nursing requires that all papers submitted include a title page, introduction, summary, and references.