The Foundations Of Leadership
Human resource professionals provide a unique role in the organization. The Foundations Of Leadership. While they may lead a team, their true test of leadership comes from their relationships and influence throughout the organization. They may be called upon to partner in the implementation of organizational strategies. They may be sought out to coach leaders in ways to handle employee relationships. They may be needed to enforce and guide human resource policies. In all cases, the strength of the individual leadership skills comes into play.
Many human resource competencies are nonnegotiable, because a lack of them could mean the difference between business success or failure. No smart business owner with employees will—nor should—discount the impact of human beings and their contribution, connection, communication, and emotion when conducting business. This should be where human resources comes in.
To assist your understanding of leadership and the unique role of the human resource professional, you will be writing a paper defining the unique role of leadership, influence, and communication for human resource professionals. You will explore leadership theories as well as review resources on the unique role human resource professionals play as leaders in the organization. You will then analyze how you see these foundations of leadership and human resource leadership in your current or future role as a human resource professional.
A solid understanding of leadership and its unique role as a human resource professional will also serve as a foundation for upcoming course assessments.
Write a 3–5 page paper in which you define leadership, influence, and communication unique to the human resource professional. You will identify two leadership theories that resonate for you as you envision your leadership style for this new position.
There are many ways to research leadership theories. The course text, The Leadership Experience, compiles a clear overview of current leadership theories in Chapter 1, “What Does It Mean to Be a Leader?” Using this text allows you to examine a variety of relevant leadership theories from a single source. Additional resources are also provided to supplement the course text and provide additional perspectives.
This paper should be well organized and cover the following elements.
- Write an introduction that outlines why you are writing this paper.
- Describe unique characteristics of human resource leadership.
- Introduce the unique characteristics of leadership for the human resource professional.
- Explain how leadership theories apply to human resource leadership.
- Select two leadership theories that resonate for you as the foundation for your leadership style and approach and explain their relevance.
- Explain the importance of influence to human resource leadership.
- Provide examples of how you will use this leadership information in your new role as a human resource supervisor.
- Discuss not only how you will lead your team but how this will impact your relationships throughout the organization.
- Write a conclusion that wraps up and summarizes your document.