There are many ethical challenges that have specific implications for nursing research. These arise primarily from the emergent and unpredictable nature of the research methods and the nature of the profession. Ethical challenges such as the risk-benefit ratio, which involves weighing both the benefits and the potential harm, must be anticipated by the researcher before any contact with the potential subject.
You are planning to conduct interviews about the experiences of women who were victims of domestic violence. Complete the activities and answer the following questions:
- List and discuss in detail the ethical issues that are involved in the early stages of doing a research or evaluation study with these subjects or participants.
- Is informed consent necessary in this case? Why or why not?
- What steps will you take to minimize the potential risks? What possible sources of physical and mental harm to the participants be minimized?
- How would you protect this specific subject from harm?
- What information will you provide to the participants to ensure informed and voluntary consent?
- Do the benefits of the study outweigh the risks?