Health Disparities Paper
Your final health disparities paper should focus on a public health disparity topic of interest to you (e.g., diabetes among Native Hawaiian populations.) You will propose a structural intervention to address the disparity using a social determinant of health (SDOH) approach. You may approach this assignment from a research or practice perspective.
The purpose of the assignment is to demonstrate your knowledge of SDOH issues by incorporating course content and a minimum of 5-7 class readings into your final paper.
Your final paper should clearly present the health disparity, briefly identifying the background and significance of the disparity. You should discuss pathways or mechanisms that lead to the disparity with a focus on SDOH. This paper should include a brief focused proposal for a structural intervention that includes guidance from an SDOH theoretical framework. Also, include a critique of the advantages and disadvantages/barriers of using an SDOH approach in your work and provide a suggested direction for implementation (e.g., engaging community partners, key messaging, potential funding, etc.) as well as a conclusion.
You should demonstrate critical thinking in assessing the advantages and disadvantages of using an SDOH approach. Be sure to discuss key SDOH concepts such as how using a multilevel model might facilitate your work. Your final paper should be 5 double-spaced pages, excluding references, using 1-inch margins and an 11 or 12-point font. Provide citations from course readings to support course content included, as well as for background information, prior research, and positions presented. You should use an acceptable and consistent referencing style for citations and references (e.g., APA, Chicago, or Medical).
Health Disparities Paper Review criteria
Your Final Health Disparities Paper Should Include:
- Have you stated the purpose of your paper including the health disparity of interest?
- Who is your population of interest, and what is the level of analysis (e.g., community, health system, policy, etc.)?
- What is the significance of your proposed research or practice area?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using an SDOH approach in your work?
- What theoretical/conceptual perspective will you apply in your proposal?
- What is your assessment of the success of previous attempts to reduce health disparities in your area of interest and why might your approach demonstrate progress towards health equity?