Drug Dosage Problem
- Identify the poster’s compound as either ionic or covalent. Explain. Drug Dosage Problem.
- Confirm that the poster’s solved dosage problem is correct. If not, explain where the math is incorrect.
- Solve the dosage problem created by the poster. Make sure to show your work.
- Explain what would happen if too much or too little of the drug was administered.
Look around your house or work for a medicine requiring dosage instructions. Discuss the medicine’s name, use, concentration, or dosage.
- The medicine I chose is meclizine in 12.5mg tablets. Meclizine is used to prevent and treat nausea, vomiting, and vertigo.
- My physician prescribed me 12.5mg tablets up to 25mg every 6 hours as needed.
Include a picture of the active ingredient in the drug.
Derive and solve a dosage problem based on the medicine that you choose.
- my physician prescribed me to take 12.5mg to 25mg of meclizine.
- Each tablet is 12.5mg.
- 5mg x 2 (tablets) = 25mg
- I can take up to 2 tablets every 6 hours.
Lastly, create a dosage problem for a classmate to solve. Do not solve it yourself.
- If I had vertigo for 24 hours and needed my medicine, how many tablets could I have taken in that time frame?
Meclizine: Uses, Dosage & Side Effects. (n.d.). Drugs.com. https://www.drugs.com/meclizine.html
- icine requiring dosage instructions
- Discuss the medicine’s name, use, concentration, or dosage.
The medication I chose was Adderall XR 20 mg. Adderall is a stimulant used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. My physician prescribed me to take 2 capsules (40 mg) daily.
- Include a picture of the active ingredient in the drug.
The active ingredients in Adderall are a combination of dextroamphetamine and Amphetamine salts.
- Derive and solve a dosage problem based on the medicine that you choose.
- For example, your physician ordered 2.4 g of folic acid. Folic acid is available at 800 mg per tablet. How many tablets should be taken?
My doctor prescribed 40mg of adderall to be taken daily
Each tablet contains 20 mg
20 mg x 2 (capsules) = 40mg
2 capsules should be taken daily.
- Lastly, create a dosage problem for a classmate to solve. Do not solve it yourself.
If the doctor prescribed you to take 45 mg of adderall daily, how many 15 mg capsules should be taken?
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. (n.d.). DRUGS@FDA data files. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-approvals-and-databases/drugsfda-data-files