Consumer & Provider Costs Summative Assessment
As a result of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and private insurance exchanges, there are fewer uninsured in the U.S. now compared to 2010. In 2022, the national uninsured rate reached a new low of only 8% of the population (HHS, 2022). In addition, under the ACA, 39 states have expanded Medicaid coverage to nearly all adults up to 138% of the Federal Poverty Level (Kaiser Family Foundation, 2022).
Assume you are the administrator of a healthcare organization that accepts Medicaid as a payor, but in a state that has not expanded Medicaid coverage. Recent Medicaid policies and discounting have contributed to the organization’s failing bottom line. Many of your clients are on Medicaid or uninsured.
You have been asked to prepare an executive summary to present to the board of directors detailing how Medicaid discounting causes hardships on your organization’s finances and the health populations you serve.
Write a 7 1,050-word executive summary.
Include the following in your executive summary:
- Clearly identify the type of facility that you are leading.
- Explain specific cuts that Medicaid has made in recent years.
- Describe how Medicaid discounting causes hardships in your organization.
- Evaluate the impact of federal or state health care policies are having on consumers’ costs. Explore both positive and negative effects.
- Recommend changes you propose to help decrease the deficit from the perspective of your organization.
- Recommend actions the organization can take to alleviate the negative effects of these changes but still meet the needs of various populations.
Cite 3 reputable references to support your assignment (e.g., trade or industry publications, government or agency websites, scholarly works, or other sources of similar quality).